The Torch

University High School Student News

The Torch

The Torch

Meet 2024’s Valedictorian – Andre Graves

Q & A with Andre Graves

Q: What are your plans after graduation?

A:I plan to study Computer Engineering while also pursuing my interests in mycology and energy production

Q: What organizations are you with outside of school?

A:  Within the school, I am president of our Key Club, co-captain of our Science Olympiad Team, and secretary of our IB student council. Within our community, I am a member of Raymi Dance School, a Peruvian folkloric dance group that performs throughout Florida. Additionally, I have volunteered heavily with the Orlando Science Center, the Holocaust Memorial Resource & Education Center, and the Socio-Technical Interaction Research Laboratory at Vanderbilt University

Q” What college are you going to attend?

A: Note: (Most of my decisions don’t come out until after 3/28, therefore I can’t give an accurate answer until then) I have been accepted into UCF, UF, and Georgia Tech while still awaiting further decision letters. I am currently unsure as it really depends not just on acceptance to the colleges, but also whether or not I can afford to attend.

Q: How hard was it to become valedictorian?

A: Becoming valedictorian was a goal that I dedicated my weekdays, weekends, and summers towards. I took up online computer science, calculus, and statistics courses, improving both my academic standing and the skills I would need as an engineering student.

Q: Was it worth all the work to be valedictorian?

A: Truthfully, I do not know. I am happy I get to invite everybody who has helped me throughout the way to our graduation ceremony. Yet, the time I spent in my academics, whether putting effort towards assignments or studying for tests, is time I will never get back. Were those hours more valuable than spending time with friends, family, and others I hold dear? I only have the rest of my life to figure that part out.