The Torch

University High School Student News

The Torch

The Torch

Netflix’s Parasyte Is A Thrilling Sci-Fi Series

The show is speculated to continue for another season, but Netflix has yet to renew the series.

Netflix’s Parasyte: The Gray is a live-action spin-off of the manga, Parasyte. Season 1 of the sci-fi horror show, premiered on April 5th.

The series centers around Jeong Su-in, a young woman working as a store cashier. After a hostile altercation with a customer, Jeong Su is followed and attacked by that same man. She wakes up in a hospital bed the next day. While detective Kim-Chul-min questions her about the incident, she is unable to recall a critical detail of the ordeal.

The plot takes on the original concept and skillfully crafts a new storyline, portraying our protagonist Jeong-Su living with the parasite within her. Unlike other parasites, who instinctively control the brain of their host, Jeong Su is able to control these powers. Her parasite only appears as an alter ego during times of danger. In other cases where the parasite has consumed the entirety of the host’s brain, the original personality ceases to exist and the host becomes a “Kin”. After the takeover, the parasite is capable of extending sharp tentacles by unraveling its head. The CGI used for these graphics is new and has never been done before. They are disturbingly realistic, which contributes to the terror of these scenes.

This show excels in nearly every aspect, including its production, plot, script, and acting. It draws viewers into an unforgettable experience. The actors’ incredible performance stood out to me, specifically that of the main character’s. Jeon So-nee, who plays Jeong Su-in, had to switch from human to parasite multiple times throughout the season. The actress impressively embodied the role of a parasitic monster but also the complexities of a human character.

The show is a captivating thriller that will have you shouting at the screen. With unexpected twists and suspenseful scenes, you’ll be on the edge of your seat the whole time. The show is expertly paced, with well-balanced character development. The writers establish an emotional connection between their characters and audience. This creates a more personal viewing experience, as the audience remains more engaged with characters that they are rooting for. These elements combine to create an enthralling watch that will leave you eager for more.