The Torch

University High School Student News

The Torch

The Torch

There Is Nothing Rotten About “Something Rotten”

The musical was divided into two acts, separated by an intermission.

UHS’ theater program just wrapped up their spring musical, Something Rotten. This production took place April 17th-21st, with the shows split between two separate casts, named “Tomato” and “Omelette.”

This historical-fiction comedy, set in 16th century London, England, follows struggling playwright Nick Bottom (played by Thomas Swonger and Javian Rodriguez). Alongside his brother Nigel (played by Edson Guerra-Guerro and Ethan Crespo), Nick runs a failing theater troupe. Nick and Nigel are seeking theatrical success, but are outshined by rock-star playwright of the Renaissance, William Shakespeare (played by Robert Myers). With financial struggles, a wife (played by Norah Perfetto and Chloe Christiansen) and their future child to support, the pressure is on for Nick to write something that can top Shakespeare. In order to keep his growing family afloat, Bottom resorts to the prophecy of a fortune teller (played by Ivana Lopez and Sofia Gabard-Rivera) to predict the next big hit: musicals.

Following their return from Districts, Troupe 4848 had a mere three weeks till opening night. “Something Rotten” is already a difficult show to put on, but under the time constraint it was especially challenging. We couldn’t have done it without our amazing seniors and crew students. They brought the show together,” said technical director Mr. Juergens. With a double cast, many major roles were divided up between actors. Some actors had to master two different parts and adapt to switch between them each show. “I played Jeremiah in the Tomato cast and was an ensemble member in the Omelette cast. It was a struggle to balance both parts at once. It was challenging because I had to do character work while I was in every single ensemble number as well,” said senior Landon Lewis.

With less than a month to learn a two-act show, it was all hands on deck. “The rehearsal process was extremely rigorous since we had less time to prepare. Although our practice time was sped-up, it was always full of love. Mendez puts his heart and soul into the productions and I think that’s why this one worked out,” said senior Chloe Christiansen. This production was a culmination of the cast, technical crew, and directors’ long hours and unrelenting work. “It was tough and in three weeks it was a lot, but I can honestly say that I’m proud of the work that I did,” said Lewis.

Something Rotten is a quirky yet heartfelt tale with the overarching message, “to be true to oneself.” It features extravagant song and dance numbers, an eccentric cast of characters, and shameless Broadway references. Brilliantly combining modern humor in an old English setting, the script takes a modern twist on Shakespearean themes. This musical marks the end of the 2023-2024 theater season, Troupe 4848’s rendition was the perfect conclusion.