The Torch

University High School Student News

The Torch

The Torch

The Future Fair Returns To UHS

Middleton, Teresa N.

College and Career Specialist, Mr. Patrick O’Donal is offering an opportunity for upperclassmen at the upcoming Future Fair. 

The Future Fair aims to raise awareness about post-graduation possibilities for upperclassmen, helping them prepare for the next chapter in their lives. “These are jobs that you may know about, but didn’t know how to get them or what they make. In addition, we wanted to give the opportunity to walk in without a clue and walk out with a job,” stated O’Donal. Attendees will learn more about their various options, such as job opportunities, scholarships, and training programs.

The fair is a school-wide event that premiered last April, at the gym; it will return for a second year, based on the positive feedback it received. “Nearly 1,000 juniors and seniors attended, with 12 walking out with jobs on the spot. Many more were able to schedule interviews or apply to schools.” said Mr. O’Donal.  

In his experience working with students, Mr. O’Donal has noticed a common trend among high schoolers- they often lack the knowledge of where to start succeeding graduation. “Graduating seniors come to me in April and May and tell me they have no idea what they want to do after high school. My hope is that when you walk in, you learn something that either confirms your career path or gets you started down one,” said Mr O’Donal.

With each passing year, there are plans to provide an expanded variety of opportunities available to students. “We will continue to reach out to the Orlando community to offer the best college and career resources that are available and we encourage students to share opportunities with us,” said O’Donal.