The Torch

University High School Student News

The Torch

The Torch

Starting The Month Off Right with Asian Night

Cady Studios
Sophomore Yug Patel performs during the Asian Festival.

The Asian Student Association hosted “Asian Night” on Friday, March 1st in the courtyard, this  community event gave guests the opportunity to experience and appreciate a variety of Asian cultures. 

Prior to the event, students stayed after school to set up their stands and prepare for the public’s arrival. The festival had multiple food and drink concessions, such as boba tea, a popular Taiwanese beverage. Schools in the surrounding area performed along with University students. “My favorite part of Asian Night would be watching friends perform on the stage or wearing great outfits during the Bollywood dance. It’s nice to see the effort people have put in and to see them having fun on stage,” said junior Xiaolan Liu.

There were various performances including dances of Asian origin and songs in their native languages. One of the popular performances was the “Lion Dance”, a traditional Chinese dance that involves two people in a lion costume, imitating the creature’s movement by having one person as the front and one in the back. “Asian night was a blast to be a part of because I enjoyed watching performances and dances of different Asian cultures and seeing how others interpreted music and made their own dances and choreography,” said sophomore Ishan Patel.

The event had a significant turnout, it was attended by UHS students, other local high schools, and community members. “I think the festival was a massive success due to the amount of people that showed up to Asian Night and how hard everyone worked to make it happen,” said junior Mike Wong.