The Torch

University High School Student News

The Torch

The Torch

Competition Cheer Season Ends on a High Note

Cady Studios
The Competition Cheer Team competes at University for their final competition of the season.

On Saturday, February 10th the Girl’s Competitive Cheer Team went to the Florida Dance Performance and scored an impressive 93.8/100, competing against other All-Star cheer teams across Florida. This was their final match and meet, wrapping the season up on a positive note.

There are a variety of ways the team prepares for competition, there are both physical and mental factors that affect performance. “It was our last game with the seniors so we wanted to give it our all and make it count, before warming up we were just telling each other that it’s going to be good and not to stress,” said sophomore Valeria Medina. 

Although the team performed well, there is always room for improvement. “I had a great time at the meet and I think we can improve on techniques, we can try practicing more in a group and communicating more efficiently,” said sophomore Arianna Infante. The girls are still working to build on  their skills, which will help them advance even further next season.

This was the final match for the senior girls, so it was their last chance to compete alongside their younger peers. Despite the bittersweet farewell, the team excelled during the routine and earned one of their highest scores yet. “It’s always hard to let them go, cause usually the seniors you’ve had for a couple of years, but it was a perfect ending because they hit a perfect routine and had their highest score, so it was the best way to go out,” said Cheer Coach Janet Sterner.