The Torch

University High School Student News

The Torch

The Torch

Helldivers 2 is a Chaotically Fun Time

Players work together in co-op extraction missions that decide the outcome of a real-time, community driven galactic war.

Helldivers 2 is a recently released third-person multiplayer shooter game that has taken the internet by storm the past few weeks. Despite its February 8th debut, on PC and PS5 devices the game has already reached 458,046 players, its success is a testament to just how fun the game is.

Taking inspiration from classic sci-fi movies such as “Starship Troopers”, Helldivers 2 takes place in the distant future in which humanity has perfected society on earth, and has moved on to colonize- or rather ‘spread democracy’ to distant planets. Unfortunately for mankind, they aren’t the only ones looking to conquer the galaxy.

In Helldivers 2, you play the part of an elite galactic soldier fighting for life, liberty, and the pursuit of freedom on behalf of your home planet, Super Earth. Fighting alongside your brothers-in-arms during a galactic war against the hideous blood-thirsty bugs known as Termininds, or the robotic and ruthless Automatons whose one goal is to inhibit the spread of righteous democracy in the galaxy. 

But despite positive feedback, Helldivers 2 developers, Arrowhead Studios, have received backlash for their rough launch of the game. Arrowhead reported to have underestimated the number of players who would play the game, and didn’t provide enough server capacity for the amount of players, causing many to have to wait in obnoxiously long queues. Arrowhead said in a recent statement, “We are once more working without delay to improve the issue and we hope to have a fix in place as soon as possible.”

Now, Helldivers is in a better state than it was during the initial launch, Arrowhead CEO Johan Pilestedt said that their server capacity has been upgraded to 800,000 but warned; “Unfortunately, we expect the CCU (concurrent users) to reach that level.” Still, Pilestedt reassured players, “…wait times will be much more bearable.” 

If you own a PC or PS5 and are looking for an amusing co-op game that you can dive into with friends, then Helldivers 2 is the right game for you.