The Torch

University High School Student News

The Torch

The Torch

UHS Teaches CPR for World Heart Day

Ashton Young
Local paramedics came to school to help teach CPR to students on World Heart Day,

World Heart Day is dedicated to teaching high school students how to properly perform CPR if a situation arises that will require it. To encourage World Heart Day to students, Orange County requires all freshmen and juniors to attend a safety presentation and practice session in the gym during their English class.  

The event’s objective is to provide adolescents with the ability to administer this potentially life-saving action. The movement has expanded to six continents, reaching hundreds of schools worldwide, and becoming an international day of importance. “One way this is shown is by having people recognize the day by wearing the color red.“ We want to stand out on World Heart Day. Every year we make our mark in cities around the world, illuminating iconic and local landmarks red,” said the founder of World Heart Day, Antoni Bayes de Luna. 

UHS celebrated World Heart Day by providing students with the opportunity to help save a life. “I feel like having the ability to do successful CPR  is important to have because you don’t know when you have to apply this knowledge in the real world. However, I feel like there is not much left to learn after doing it the first time when I was a freshman and that no one takes it seriously enough,” said junior Joshua Garcia.