The Torch

University High School Student News

The Torch

The Torch

New Mean Girls Movie is Totally Fetch

+This+musical+adaptation+of+Mean+Girls+was+released+January+12th%2C+2023.
This musical adaptation of Mean Girls was released January 12th, 2023.

Mean Girls is now a musical and has recently been released in theaters racking up more in box office revenue than the original film.

The musical closely parallels the iconic 2004 comedy, still following our protagonist Cady Heron- a teenage girl who has recently moved and struggles to adapt to the social hierarchies of the American high school experience. Queen Bee, Regina George, (played by Renee Rapp)  takes Cady (played by Angourie Rice) under her wing, gradually indoctrinating her into the notorious clique “The Plastics.”

I found the casting to be spot-on, and the performances were nothing short of outstanding, with each actor bringing their unique take on these nostalgic characters.

I enjoyed the scene of Regina George- marvelously portrayed by Rapp- discovering Cady’s calorie-packed bar trick. Rapp’s genuine shock and betrayal feel incredibly authentic, making the scene a brilliant rendition. The use of both dramatic lighting and music amplifies this moment, making it a pivotal turning point that reshapes character dynamics. It’s a memorable moment that will certainly stick with the audience.

While the costume design was not as “fetch” as many might have hoped, the production’s commitment to representing a diverse range of body types and skin tones is commendable.

Standout performances include Avantika Vandanapu, who breathes life into the character of Karen Shetty, as well as Renee Rapp, whose portrayal of Regina George is nothing short of captivating. This movie is a refreshing take on the classic, bending humor and heart in a way that balances both evocative and innovative themes. 

Renee Rapp’s performance was truly something special. Her voice, her acting, her undeniable beauty- all of which came together to bring Regina George to life in a whole new way. Another moment that stood out was when Regina gets hit by the bus. The execution of this scene was nothing short of perfection, leaving a lasting impression on viewers. The musical numbers are as catchy as they are entertaining, contributing to an enjoyable viewing experience. Despite its criticisms, “Mean Girls: The Musical” is a production that deserves a watch.