The Torch

University High School Student News

The Torch

The Torch

Baldur’s Gate 3 Wins Game of the Year, Here’s Why They Deserved It

Baldur’s Gate 3 has sold over 2.5 million copies.

Baldur’s Gate 3 designed by Larian Studios recently won “Game of the Year” at the Game Awards along with five other awards. Baldur’s Gate 3 was also nominated for Best Score and Music, Best Game Direction, and Best Narrative. It’s a role-playing game taking place in the Dungeons & Dragons universe. The player creates a character that explores the world with companions found along the way in their group.

The game’s primary appeal is its storyline, along with the main plot- the game follows three distinct acts, every character that you recruit has their own intricate storyline. The game is turn-based as well as multiplayer friendly for up to three others. It also allows you the option to pursue a romantic relationship with a character in your camp, providing unique dialogue and scenes. The actors for the characters not only voice them, but do the motions for them in game with body-tracking technology. The sheer possibilities of things you can do in this game is making people rethink what the expectations of a sixty-dollar game should be. There are 17,000 alternate endings depending on the choices you make during your play through. The average length per playthrough was 44 hours and around 100 hours for completing the additional side quests.

As someone who has never played a game like this before, there is something in it for everybody, whether you play the game specifically for the turn-based combat, for the story, or to explore the Dungeons & Dragons world. Replaying this game is almost as fun as playing it for the first time, there are so many different types of characters you can make and paths to go down that it’s worth playing more than once. Baldur’s Gate 3 has made history in the gaming industry and here’s hoping that Larian Studios will make more.