The Torch

University High School Student News

The Torch

The Torch

OnePULSE Foundation is Found Fraudulent

Orange County has picked up where onePulse left off.

The onePULSE Foundation is currently embroiled in controversy surrounding its embezzlement of funds. They also face scrutiny for their failure to obtain the nightclub property for the construction of a memorial facility to commemorate the fallen victims. The foundation’s former chairman- Earl Crittenden, resigned from the Board of Trustees effective October 31st due to his role in the recent scandal. Several other board members have stepped down in the past few years, including one of the co-founders, Barbara Poma who left earlier this year.

Survivors of the attack and the families of victims expressed outrage toward the organization for not following through on their pledge to build a memorial at the bar’s location, for the seven years the foundation has been running. Many are requesting a criminal investigation into the company for possible misuse of their donations. The foundation then planned to have the museum at the Orlando Health Survivors Walk and Pulse Museum, but with the emergence of recent allegations, these plans have been abandoned.

The foundation will be terminated, with Orange County potentially indebted $400,000 for the cost of land, unless a memorial is built within a decade of the grant that was given. The foundation originally received 10 million dollars to build this museum and though plans were abandoned, some local leaders hold hope that they will establish a permanent memorial. 

The foundation collected around 18 million dollars in total, spending 6 million on the planning and purchase of land before calling the project off. Donors are naturally inquiring where the other 12 million dollars went. Commissioners are calling for the organization to be fully audited by the IRS and for the company to be held accountable for fraud and misappropriation of funds.