The Torch

University High School Student News

The Torch

The Torch

Thespians “Gold Dust Woman” Moves to States after UHS Hosts Districts

Seniors Megan Griffin-Ferry and Geovanni Montalvo play characters Apollo and Cassandra in the one-act play “Gold Dust Woman”.

UHS Troupe 4848 hosted The District 5 Festival again this year.  The three-day event took place on campus right before Thanksgiving Break. 

The festival is held annually by a school in the district with over 1000 students and parents attending this year’s competition. It’s a theater competition where district 5 troupes all gather at the hosting school, which is us this year- to perform for judges,“ said sophomore Dominick Cline. 

Events are classified by two categories- technical and performance. Technical events include costume construction, make-up, set design, publicity, and playwriting. Performance events can be done independently as well as with a larger group. “It was a four day event, the first three were group performances- mainly one acts, the final day showcased individual events- or IEs,” said junior thespian Amelie Alonso. 

UHS showcased their one act play Gold Dust Woman which earned a superior rating in both technical and performance categories. It was selected to advance to the upcoming State Thespian Festival in March. Individual students were recognized for their achievements and the troupe received 30 superior ratings and 19 excellents. “I had a great time at Districts this year, I’m happy with how our troupe performed,” said junior Christopher Carrol.

Professionals within the industry judge these presentations and score them accordingly. Students are assessed based on a predetermined rubric, ranked out of four- ordered fair to superior – superior being the highest place and most sought after. Actors are evaluated for their voice, characterization, movement, transitions, and execution on the stage.