The Torch

University High School Student News

The Torch

The Torch

Hispanic Festival Unites Cultures

Ms.+Rosa+Davila+participates+in+a+traditional+Venezuelan+dance+during+the+Hispanic+Festival.+
Photo donated
Ms. Rosa Davila participates in a traditional Venezuelan dance during the Hispanic Festival.

It’s Hispanic Heritage Month and to celebrate, UHS hosted their festival featuring traditional attire, performances, and cultural food. 

Hispanic Heritage month is an important historical celebration and to honor it, teachers and students came together to put together the event. “First we talked to the students about Hispanic Heritage month and what it means, and we gave them the opportunity to express themselves according to their talent.” said Señora Rosa Davila.

The auditorium was decorated for the occasion with the help of students in various clubs and classes who collaborated to put on performances for the event, including Spanish National Honor Society, Latinos in Action and some of the students in Spanish classes. “It was a very fun experience. I was a stage assistant manager so I made sure everyone went on stage on time and helped move things around. It was pretty insane, large and extravagant, I have never seen anything like that. It was beautiful. My favorite part of the event was the food! I ate so many different cultures and everything was so delicious,” said junior Robert Stage-Cooper 

During the event, there were poems, dances, speeches, songs, stories, and more. “According to their talent, the kids were assigned a project for the Hispanic Heritage month celebration,” said Davila. 

The purpose of the festival is to show a sign of unity and cultural  representation. The passion students put into this festival was insightful and inspiring. “I wanted to leave students with the feeling of unity, with all of their cultures being represented,” said president from the Spanish Honors Society senior Annabella Down.

After all the performances were complete, visitors were invited to the cafeteria, which was filled with various displays featuring  Hispanic countries, as well as a feast of  cultural foods that were donated by students and parents as an assignment for their Spanish class.