The Torch

University High School Student News

The Torch

The Torch

Lana Del Rey’s Florida Debut Did Not Disappoint

Lana+Del+Reys+performance+in+Tampa+showcased+breathtaking+vocals+in+a+standout+show.+
Tampa Tribune
Lana Del Rey’s performance in Tampa showcased breathtaking vocals in a standout show.

Singer Songwriter Lana Del Rey has wrapped up her 2023 tour with a final show in Charleston, West Virginia. This tour showcased her latest album Did You Know That There’s A Tunnel Under Ocean Boulevard?, but also included tracks from her prior releases. I attended her September 25th show in Tampa at the Mid Florida Credit Union Amphitheatre, and was absolutely ecstatic to have a pit spot.

Part of me was anticipating a more laid-back event since there were only ten shows listed, most of which being in cities I hadn’t even heard of. This was her first tour since 2019, though still writing and releasing music Del Rey has scaled back her public appearances. I was eagerly anticipating how the show might reflect this change.

The production was nothing short of breath-taking, with a full 90 minute setlist composed of songs from almost every one of her albums. This is a more than impressive feat considering her genre bending tendencies and the way her style has evolved over time. She was somehow able to craft the perfect mix to keep the audience enamored. From softer instrumental romantic ballads to angsty melodramatic music, the set seamlessly blended together creating an emotively exhilarating atmosphere.

She sang her signature melancholic melodies- like the 2012 hit Video Games while still featuring more upbeat anthems such as Diet Mountain Dew. 

The show was opened by musician Nikki Lane, known by some as “The Queen of Outlaw Country,” an artist who served us southern charm with an indie rock feel. She fired up the crowd with her set, performing her hits “First High” and “Send the Sun”.  Lane’s performance set the mood for the rest of the show. 

Del Rey began her show crooning the opening lyrics to Norman F***ing Rockwell– the title track to her 2019 Grammy nominated album. The song reflects on a past relationship with a conceited man, its title paying a tongue and cheek homage to the renowned painter. She ended with “The Grants”, a song from her latest album.  She played “Florida Kilos” for her Florida fans and her rendition of “Ultraviolence” reminded me of why I find her music so captivating. 

The show lasted three hours and my only complaint the whole night was how long it took to find my car after.