The Torch

University High School Student News

The Torch

The Torch

Girls Varsity Volleyball Fall to East River

The varsity team struggled against East River in their match at University High School.

The Girls Varsity Volleyball Team lost against East River High School on September 28th, with a score of 0-3. The sets of the match were 14-25, 9-25, and 19-25. 

Their next game will take place Tuesday October 3rd, in an away game at Geneva High School. “We have three more weeks before the season ends and I am excited for our next game. We have been working really hard on practice and making sure all of our players are comfortable with their skills.” said Coach Lisa Wentzell. 

University has won twice against Oak Ridge this season. “I am more than excited that the girls have been working really really hard to achieve our goals and we are ready. We are working a lot on serving and how they can reach the ball, positions, and passing,” said Coach Belinda Guzman.

The record for the season so far is 5-6, with three games left. They had a 2-2 record for home games and 3-4 for away games.The varsity team is spending  time improving their communication skills as a team in order to prepare for future games. “We did some work over the summer, tryouts and practicing, and it was so fun. But it’s a lot because it’s everyday and the games start at 7 pm. It’s hard to do homework and stuff but it’s worth it,” said senior Sofia Franklin.