The Torch

University High School Student News

The Torch

The Torch

Cross County Runners Gain Speed in Toho Invitational

Senior Andrew Jacob OH competes during the Toho Invitational Cross Country Meet.

Cross Country’s meet on September 23rd at Austin-Tindal Park for the Toho Invitational resulted in a last place finish out of 23 schools. But while the team struggled, individually the runners earned high scores with William Hernandez placing 12th in the Boy’s Varsity and Sarah Poor placing 14th in Girl’s Junior Varsity on the 5kr run. 

The runners each achieved a personal best at the meet, which has Coach Saul Laird optimistic for the upcoming meets this season. ”For the team,personally I think the meet went great. A lot of our team members last year were seniors, so it’s been hard to replace everyone. Everybody made a new personal record and I believe the girls team will make it to regionals,” said Laird.

Girls Junior Varsity sophomore Sarah Poor stated that they all have areas to improve, but she is hopeful for this season’s success. “I think that at the next meet the team will definitely do better because everybody’s trying really hard. One thing that I’m going to try and remember for next match is to better prepare myself, like doing the proper stretches,” said Poor.