The Torch

University High School Student News

The Torch

The Torch

Homecoming Festival Replaces Parade

Last year the Homecoming Parade was organized by SGA, but this year they are hosting a festival immediately before the game instead of the parade.

The Homecoming Parade has been replaced with a festival this year in response to the cost of the parade and a goal to increase participation.

By shifting the focus away from the parade and offering interactive activities before the Homecoming Game, The Student Government Association is hoping to use this opportunity for students to be more involved in the Homecoming festivities. “One way that the students are involved is that the various clubs will be hosting games, handing out items like face paint [for the game],” said SGA sponsor Ms. Lindsey Buck. 

While SGA members no longer are incurring the high cost of the parade, the festival still requires contacting clubs and contacting a food truck to come to the event. “This will definitely be different from our traditional Homecoming Parade, but I think HOCO fest will allow students to become more engaged and involved,“ said SGA member Autumn Johnson.  

Clubs will be providing items like cotton candy to carnival games to food. One of the many clubs that will be hosting an attraction for attendees is Mu Alpha Theta club. This club will be doing a water projectile game. “The event was decided between the president of the Honor societies and asked the club members if it was okay to have water guns to shoot objects off of a counter,”said  Mu Alpha Theta member Xiaolan Liu.

The Badminton Club will be hosting an activity similar to cornhole for the event. The players will be throwing the birdies in multiple holes and holes of varying size will be worth more points than others. “ We wanted to do this type of activity since we believed this is a very friendly way for newcomers to become interested in Badminton,” said Badminton member Javier T