The Torch

University High School Student News

The Torch

The Torch

Maui Wildfires Lead to Devastation and Death

80% of the city Lahaina, Hawaii was destroyed after catastrophic wildfires.

The death toll from the wildfires in Maui, has increased to 106 deaths and that number is expected to rise. While the cause of the fire still being investigated, the rapid growth of the fire was due to the strong wind coming from Hurricane Dora.

Residents are currently getting help from airlines such as United, Alaska, Delta, Southwest, and American. The airlines are flying in supplies such as water, food, linens, and baby formula, and are leaving the island with passengers to help evacuate the residents and tourists to safety. 

Part time resident of Maui, Oprah Winfrey has offered her assistance in the help of rebuilding Maui to what it was prior to the wildfires. “It’s a little overwhelming, you know. But I’m really pleased to have so many people you know supporting and people just bringing what they can,” said Oprah Winfrey to BBC. 

The fires are now contained in some areas but still have yet to be extinguished. Residents will be able to come back to their homes in the near future. However, this fire is one of the largest fires that the US has seen in a century, so it will take some time for the reconstruction of the island to be completed. “It will certainly be the worst natural disaster that Hawaii ever faced. We can only wait and support those who are living. Our focus now is to reunite people when we can get them housing and get them health care, and then turn to rebuilding,” said Hawaii Governor Josh Green to CBS news. 

The fires are yet to be fully extinguished so residents are being offered temporary housing that is now being funded by the state, through private donations, and with the help of the airlines.