UHS Hosts first Career Fair

A student converses with a representative from VERTO Education at a career fair table.

On Friday April 28th, University hosted its very first Future Fair. The gymnasium was home to the booths of over 60 schools, companies, and organizations that came to share various information regarding career and educational opportunities.

The fair offered access to career tips, information about scholarship opportunities, jobs, and internships. It catered toward juniors and seniors who attended during their English classes and  provided them with resources they may use after graduation. Underclassmen were also welcomed to attend during their lunch periods. “This is the first year of the Future Fair at University. It’s a great way for upperclassmen to find useful information to plan their futures during and after college. We’ve had companies like Amazon, Gaylord Palms, colleges, even modeling agencies, future internships, and various scholarships,” said fair volunteer freshman Helene Cortez.

The fair provided a platform for these organizations to essentially promote themselves to an audience of potential employees or volunteers at their companies.UCP Bailes K-8 school, was one of several booths promoting a job or internship to students.  “We are a charter school that works with kids with or without disabilities. We have two positions open for high schoolers this summer. These programs are a great opportunity for kids who need volunteer hours for scholarships like bright futures,” said the UCP representative. 

Before the fair, Men’s Wearhouse representatives gave a presentation to Juniors and Seniors regarding professional attire covering topics like how to dress for future job interviews and even showing students how to properly tie a tie. “I had fun at the career fair seeing all the booths and tables. I found it very helpful to see my options laid out for me after graduation,” said senior Logan Sladdick.