Girls’ Golf Finishes Season with Top Scorer

The+boys+golf+team+practices+early+in+the%0Aseason.+

The boys golf team practices early in the season.

Alyssia Ibanez, Staff Writer

Both the girls and boys golf teams were met with challenges on the green this season.

The boys ended their season 0-6 and the girls team were only able to compete in individual events at the end of the season.

After winning important matches against Freedom, Cyprus and Lake Howell this season, sophomore Abigale Brannen came in third for the East Metro Tournament as an individual, shooting par on the course. “She beat a lot of strong players and showed resilience as she rolled in a dicey 20-footer to save par on the last hole,” said Coach Stephen Hellwege.

Teammate, Stephanie Adeyemo finished in the top half of the field with a score of 46.

While the girls’ team did not have enough golfers to qualify for team competitions, they were able to count their scores in individual competitions. “The boys have a full team, but the girls have only two players. For the girls I can give them more individual attention, but it makes qualifying more difficult,” said Hellwege.

Bad weather was also a factor the golfers contended with this season. “This season is pretty good, but the weather has made things pretty difficult especially with practices ending early and not full matches, and it has been very difficult to gain momentum with the amount of cancellations,” said senior Stephanie Adeyemo.