Tennis Season Ends with Hard Fought Losses and Impressive Wins

Senior Meghan Gatten runs gets in position to volley the ball back to her opponent.

Arina Nemati, Staff Writer

The Varsity Boys’ and Girls’ Tennis Teams had a challenging season that included some important wins against challenging rivals. The boys’ team has gathered a total of 5 wins and 10 losses for the season. “Our team is certainly competitive but not
as much as big teams like Winter Park, Lake Nona, or Boone,” said freshman Emilio Mendizabal.

However, to improve their performance, they have been working on individual and partner based skills. “I have been working on top spin serves and receiving, which is just a quick way to receive a power serve and a good way to put curve on your serve,” said Mendizabal.

The girls’ team has been showing improvement in their play, gaining 5 wins, 1 draw and 11 losses. “The most difficult game was definitely against Lake Nona as they are really good. It’s the hardest game every year. I think the hardest part is when you are playing doubles because you have to know who is going to get the ball. But either way I love playing tennis as it is a stress reliever and I will continue to be a part of the team,” said sophomore Deena Chavda.

The season ended for both teams with a close loss to East River with final score of 5-2.