Varsity Volleyball Competes in Districts

Junior Ethan Calderon bumps the ball in the varsity game against East River High School.

Gabby Fleury, Staff Writer

Both the varsity and junior varsity volleyball teams are experiencing a successful season. Varsity’s current record is 6 and 3, with their recent win being against Hagerty High School. “We’re doing pretty good! We have only lost to the teams that have been state champions so far but we have a really good chance of being district champions this year,” said varsity Coach Jamie Tremaine.

The varsity players are enjoying their success on the court. “The season has actually been pretty surprising and really fun. We’ve had our ups and downs, but we’ve improved a lot especially against the challenging teams. There have been so many great moments that I don’t have one in particular,” said senior Charles Byrd.

Coach Tremaine is optimistic when it comes to the team’s chances of winning Districts. “The season isn’t over yet. I feel like our highlight is still to come when we win the District championship, but the Colonial game was pretty intense, which is surprising. I think they’re upping their game,” said Tremaine.

The JV team has only lost to Lake Nona, Freedom and Timber Creek so far this season. “The season hasn’t been bad because we have won a lot of games, but the losses are upsetting,” said sophomore Jahcere Registe.

Since the season is not over, there is still room for improvement. “One thing that the team can work on is cohesiveness. We are usually pretty together, but there is always an area that needs improvement. We are also working on running plays and
making sure we are able to run them effortlessly,” said Tremaine.

There are four more games in the season, which will determine whether or not the team is able to make districts. They are doing very well and have worked very hard, which shows in their overall wins this season. It is looking very likely that the team is going to end off the year with success.