The Torch

University High School Student News

The Torch

The Torch

Barbie Earns Billions While Bringing Controversy

Barbie has surpassed one billion in box office revenue already.

Warner Bros’ most recent cinematic experience Barbie has impressively racked in over $1 billion in box office sales after its debut on July 21st. The highly anticipated eye-catching comedy is arguably the hit of the summer in theaters with its stunning visuals and impactful message.

When the Barbie movie was initially announced, the plot was kept mostly under wraps, leading many to believe it would be a lighthearted live action adaptation of everyone’s favorite doll. With Margot Robbie and Ryan Gosling starring and other recognizable names scattered throughout the cast, the film was expected to be an elaborate production. Due to vagueness around the plot of the movie, a larger audience was drawn to it. Not only children attended but a diverse group of various ages. This marketing technique was a brilliant choice by director Greta Gerwig, opening the movie up to a wider array of viewers. Gerwig; a young female director known for her coming of age film Ladybird, as well as her adaptation of Little Women, her past films all share a common theme– girlhood, and Barbie is no exception.

In Gerwig’s imaginary Barbie World, traditional gender roles are reversed, and the Barbies and Kens live in a matriarchy where women hold roles of power, inspire one another, and live seemingly perfect lives. Ken is just Ken. However when Barbie, played by Margot Robbie, makes a startling discovery about the real world, she begins a journey to learn about the harsh reality that women live in everyday. ‘Barbie’ contains commentary about “Kens” who represent the men of the real world as well as the general functioning of society. The film also features America Ferrera and Ariana Greenblatt as the “Real World” mother-daughter duo, who’s relationship stole the hearts of many viewers, as they represent women’s friendship, the significance of girlhood, the love for and also frustration with Barbie and the beauty standards that she represented.

For the millions that grew up playing with the classic toy, the name Barbie brings back a rush of nostalgia. To countless women, these dolls are childhood favorites and hold a special place in the hearts of many. But whether we know it or not, the toys we played with at an early age had a profound effect on us. Our adolescent years are some of the most fundamental times in our lives, as our brains develop and seek understanding of our world. For many women in our society there are unreasonable expectations placed that remain throughout their lives. Media feeds us subliminal messages in different forms- even children’s toys. The image of Barbie is not adored by all, as she is associated by many with unrealistic beauty standards placed on women– starting in their youth.

This film masterfully balances the powerful message with lighthearted humor, making it an entertaining yet emotional watch for viewers. For anyone looking for a heartfelt comedic film packed full of talented actresses and actors, I would absolutely recommend seeing Barbie.