Wednesday Makes it to Top 10 Best Shows on Netflix

Wednesday+now+holds+the+record+for+most+hours+viewed+in+a+week+for+an+english-language+series+on+Netflix%2C+with+341.2+million+hours.+

Wednesday now holds the record for most hours viewed in a week for an english-language series on Netflix, with 341.2 million hours.

Alyssia Ibanez, Staff Writer

On November 22, 2022, Netflix released a new hit show called Wednesday. This show is based on Wednesday Addams from The Addams Family and it was directed by Tim Burton. 

It is about how Wednesday (Jenna Ortega) has been expelled from her “normie” high school, she is forced to attend Nevermore Academy, kids who were considered “outcasts” from the rest of the world, so Wednesday heads off to a school filled with werewolves, vampires, sirens and assorted other dark creatures. A goth Hogwarts, you might think, and that’s a comparison the show is desperate to encourage. The series has a relentlessly quippy Gen Z tone. Wednesday Addams is here to disrupt the hierarchy and solve a grizzly series of murders – and she’s all out of entrenched social codes to subvert.

Enid (Emma Myers) offers tips for navigating her new school and introductions to some of the characters that will become central to the mysteries Wednesday will soon find herself investigating. Includes the killings in the local town of Jericho and surrounding woodland by what the police are finding it increasingly to deny must be a monster.

Ortega has the toughest of acts to follow. Christina Ricci defined the part in The Addams Family then stepped equally definitively up to the plate as the goth girl in Addams Family 1993. But Ortega holds her own, despite some issues Ricci didn’t have to face. First, Wednesday is now a teenager, meaning none of the snarky responses hold quite the same charge as they did before. Second, she has to leaven it with some humanity so she can grow for eight episode series that is part horror story and part murder mystery, but mostly coming-of-age with classic tropes of some high school drama.

It was very enjoyable to watch, it was unique and definitely worth the watch especially for Jenna Ortega’s performance.From the casting to the acting to the set design to the plot and storyline, Wednesday has completely left many fans speechless in the best way. The cinematography is amazing and beautiful as well, everything is catered around Wednesday, so it fully stands out the most out of all the “outcast” kids.