It’s Time to Change OCPS Policies that Aren’t Working

Romeo Vazquez, Staff Writer

The policies for students made by OCPS are very important but some are also ineffectual because students do not follow them and it is too difficult for administration to enforce. Currently the cell phone policy is just not working anymore and it needs to be updated.

OCPS Cell phone policy, which states that “A student may possess a cell phone on school property, at after school activities, and at school-related functions, provided that during school hours and on a school bus, the cell phone remains off and is concealed,” is not practical and is nearly impossible to enforce. While phones can be distracting, they can also help kids to
focus in class. With the rise of technology in schools, students expect to be allowed phone usage all the time, even while teachers are completing instruction. By limiting the usage of phones by requiring students to turn them off during lectures and allowing them during non-instructional time, trust can be built between students and teachers. Many teachers have created an environment where students understand the expectation to uphold respect in a classroom by putting away their devices while they are lecturing or actively holding an interactive lesson.

Students should be able to use phones at times when they are not in class, such as at lunch and on the bus. “I think that they (cell phones) should be allowed during certain times of the day. If it’s for music, I don’t see a problem or if it’s on your desk but not using it students will inevitably fail the assignments in class due to lack of care on the students part,” said freshman James Grant.

While most teachers and administrators would like for there to be less phone usage on campus, that goal is hard to achieve. “I believe the cell phones policy is very necessary to keep a consistent learning environment, and it keeps everyone on track,” said Dean Ron Green.

By creating a policy that recognizes that students are connected to their phones, and that phones can be used as a motivational tool, the county could avoid any more conflict than is necessary.