The Torch

University High School Student News

The Torch

The Torch

Students Show Off Skills at Talent Show

Second Place finalist, Domnick Cline performs “She Used to Be Mine.”

The Annual Talent Show was hosted last Friday, February 2nd in the Performing Arts Center at 7PM. This event invites students of all ages to show off their skills within an encouraging environment. Types of talents ranged from singing and dancing acts, piano performances, as well as group events like the majorettes. 

To prepare for the talent show, a dress rehearsal was held the day prior to ensure that everything ran smoothly. “Over the course of a few weeks, we held auditions in the SGA room, where people would come and show us their talent. Acts were then notified if they made it in or if they had a call back,” said SGA member Tina Doan. 

This year’s Talent Show victors are senior Gaby Trujillo and freshman Naomi Otero who received first place for their song and dance rendition of “Never Enough,” a ballad featured in The Greatest Showman

The second place winner is sophomore Dominick Cline who sang “She Used to be Mine” from the musical Waitress. “I was both overjoyed and shocked when I heard I got second place in the talent show. I wanted to enter the competition so that I could sing a song that reminds me of my mom a lot and sing a song in her memory. This song fits well in my vocal range and I wanted to sing this to make her proud,” said sophomore Dominick Cline. Sophomores Nathalia Navarro and Hannah Weimer earned third place for their performance of the song “Let Me Be Your Star,” from SMASH

The Talent Show is a great outlet for students to showcase their abilities to an audience of like-minded individuals. “I think that I was able to perform well and I felt prepared after the amount of practice that I had done leading up to the show. I have a lot of fun performing at the talent show every year,” said junior Sydney Grant.