The Torch

University High School Student News

The Torch

The Torch

Students Read to Dogs During Literacy Week

Photo Donated
Students from Ms. Trihn’s class came to read to the dogs in Ms. Acton’s class to help recognize Literacy Week.

Last month UHS celebrated Literacy Week, and some students participated by reading to dogs.

On Tuesday, January 23rd the vet assisting classes hosted this event, hoping to promote reading and provide a restorative environment for both the students and animals. In total, around 13 students attended from 2nd to 4th period.

This event aimed to encourage and instill the importance of reading in students. “Sometimes students who aren’t comfortable doing certain things with other people, will be able to do them around the dogs,” said Veterinary Assisting teacher Kim Acton.

Literacy Week gives students who don’t read very often a chance to explore the world of literature. “I think it was exciting for our students, we received some good feedback,” stated teacher Jessica Trinh. 

Students had the option to either bring a book from home to read or to choose one from the classroom. “I brought Disney’s “Frozen” and read to Lemon the dog,” said sophomore Faith Dioso.