Entitlement: Is it the Root of Student’s Issues Today?

Veronica Ramos, Staff Writer

Studies are showing that having a sense of entitlement leads to mental health issues that are affecting people in the long run, according to WebMD. Not only does this mentality give students an excuse to feel like they’re deserving of what they haven’t earned, but it also shows signs of narcissistic and antisocial personality disorder. 

For people with an entitlement mindset, they feel like they are owed for having done little or nothing. Someone with this mindset feels a sense of superiority, that the rules don’t apply to them. This can definitely be an issue in the long run, affecting personal and professional relationships, and with this mindset leaving many students unprepared for the real world.

Many students today demonstrate this type of mentality, especially as the year comes to a close and grades are being finalized. There are obviously scenarios in which external factors make it difficult for one to keep their grades up, but not doing anything and then expecting an A is not a valid excuse, and it’s something that teachers are seeing more and more of.  “Sometimes, I do find myself feeling entitled to having an A but in reality, I know I could’ve worked harder to achieve that grade,” said sophomore Amelie Alonso. “I know that the main reason is my laziness and it’s something I need to work on instead of making excuses about it.”

In the long run, this mindset is harmful as many students prepare for college and careers. The feeling of deserving may work for some high school teachers, but it won’t pass with college professors and in the real world. As students enter competitive schools and cut-throat majors, doing the bare minimum and expecting a good grade isn’t going to work anymore. “There are students that want to do just enough to get an A, students who want to be in competitive programs where everyone is trying to be the best,” said Mr. Wright. “They need to ask themselves: is doing just enough actually going to be enough?”