JROTC Marches Toward Victory

The drill team showcases their skills on Lake Buena Vista High field on February 11th.

Alison Walker, Staff Writer

University High School’s JROTC drill team competed in an Armed Exhibition drill meet at Lake Buena Vista High School on Saturday, February 11th where the girls took home a first place win and the boys brought back second place for their category.

The team showcased their skills on the field competing with other schools in the area. “We received first and second place wins for the male and female exhibition and things are looking optimistic for the team, however there is still room for improvement in the future,” said sophomore drill team member Aidan Blackburn. 

Drill team consists of highly disciplined cadets who perform drill procedures holding rifles. The team competed in the armed exhibition competition. “Armed exhibition is when we march with the rifles, we do flips and tricks with them as well,” said Sarah Poor, freshman drill team member. “Learning the flips is always fun, it’s my favorite part of being on drill.” 

Preparing for these meets has been a rigorous yet rewarding process, and the team’s hard work has paid off. “One of the ways our team prepares us for these events is having people in leadership positions who guide us and give us recommendations on what to do,” said Blackburn. Practice is a vital part of learning what to do in drill, rehearsing the events helps prepare the team. “Repetition is key in practicing for drill, we utilize consistency in our work,” said Poor.

Along with teaching students the importance of hard work and discipline, the drill team has also shown them how to work together. Being a part of this team has allowed members to sustain bonds with their fellow members, making them a better team because of it. “My favorite part of being on this team has been spending more time with my friends, becoming closer with them and sharing these wins with them,“ said Blackburn.